Pages

Monday, March 9, 2009

How Ideas and Obsessions Get Started

So a blog that I regularly read, Gorgeous Things, posted about a blog named Counterfeit Chic, a name which intrigued me due to my penchant for knock-offs, thus I visited the blog with some, um, questions in mind. A little bit of surfing and clicking later, I come across a flickr post of the photo below:



... which as Counterfeit Chic elaborated, shows computer code instead of the (perhaps) fake logo it's supposed to show. These jeans were found in Chatuchak Market in Bangkok, Thailand, and having been there, I could completely believe these are fake. I mean, isn't the fantastic array of fakes a major draw to travel to Thailand? Just ask my "sitting man" that looks very much like an antique Sukothai Buddha unearthed during an archeological dig, along with the (not really) antique Burmese rain drum we bought at Chatuchak Market. If I can't afford to pay $10,000 at Golden Triangle in Chicago, why wouldn't I pay $400 at Chatuchak for the "new old" Burmese rain drum as a unique side table? I realize this is not a perfect comparison -- there are no LV logo or Burberry brand names on these pieces. But, consider this, how many "antiques" sold at real antique prices really are the true thing? How many travelers have had their wallets taken for a ride by men who just last week were rubbing dirt on their "antique" purchase? Beware, folks, and know what you're getting for your money. And perhaps we shouldn't be taking the real antiques halfway across the world anyway. I buy the replications with the full knowledge that that's what they are. It's not an investment, it's just something I want to live with and remind me of stories from Chatuchak Market and other places far away.

Now on to those "oops" jeans from Chatuchak ... what a great idea!!! Sewists (or sewers whatever you prefer) who are also blog nerds, why not put a piece of your blog's HTML code on a label? I have plenty of incorrect SAS code from grad school days to play with too. Computer chic!! Let the ideas run ...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails