Pages

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Make Skirt from Dress Pattern

I blogged previously about planning to sew a skirt like this one from last summer's Sundance catalog:


At the time, I had just sewn this dress from McCall's 5617:

So it was an easy connection to see that the lower half of this dress pattern, made longer, could produce a skirt like the Sundance skirt. So I simply cut the fabric to the length I wanted using the dress pattern, and scooped side seams in for the waist while leaving enough width for the waist to clear my hips while pulling the skirt up. I used an elastic waistband. I usually am not a fan of elastic waistbands because I have a 10" difference in my waist and hip measurements, which produces lots of bulk with elastic waists, but for some reason this skirt is not bulky there. I lack the insight to know why!

Here's the result:





While I have the Sundance "All American" T-shirt and copy-catted the necklaces, I could show you a near-replica of the catalog photo above. But here the skirt is styled with a Texas cowgirl T purchased from an airport gift shop somewhere in Texas. Maybe San Antonio? I forget -- I used to have to travel all over Texas for business. And a Brighton belt purchased at the Savannah, GA hotel connected to the convention center (yeah more business travel, assuaged with shopping). But the boots are CIRCA Joan & David from Zappos acquired in the comfort of home.

The hem is simply a raw edge cut below one of the striped sections:





Because the fabric is sheer, as you can see here, I lined the skirt up to the ruffle seam with a matching dusty blue lining fabric:





While wearing the skirt yesterday, I noticed that the sheer ruffle makes interesting sidewalk shadows on sunny days.

I absolutely love this textural slubby fabric. It's from Gorgeous Things and has been in my stash for awhile. Here's another shot:





It's cold right now to wear a sleeveless T, but throw on a leather jacket and you're ready to go:





Pattern Review

- posted from my iPhone

2 comments:

Lynneb said...

It's a very, very cool skirt. I love how you used that fabric to such a good advantage.

deb said...

Thank you! This fabric kept me stumped for a long time re: what to do with it, until one day the idea clicked.

Related Posts with Thumbnails