I also made the necklace to go with the shrug. Necklace detail:
It was hard to photograph the detail. In the photo, you can barely see the thread from the stitching. If you use well-matched thread, the thread nearly disappears into the fabric.
It took a long long loooooooong while to create the long length of ribbing. I used woolly nylon in the bobbin and a tight bobbin setting to make the ribbing stand up more, as described in Connie Long's Sewing With Knits book. I used the presser foot edge as a spacing guide. I would prefer closer ribbing, but this was the easiest quickest way to measure, and I had a lot of straight lines to sew, and also barely enough fabric.
Sewing ribbing consumed a great deal of thread. I eventually had to make two trips to JoAnn just for one more spool of thread. The ribbing took four smaller spools of Gutermann thread and my ribbing is smaller than the pattern pieces.
Not only does making ribbing chew up thread, it consumes fabric too. I wound up piecing together ribbing from all salvageable areas of remnant fabric. It was hairy-scary for awhile, but I squeezed out enough ribbing. So be forewarned.
The shrug was very easy to sew together. Could be an extremely quick project ...
1) IF you don't make your own ribbing, and
2) IF you don't decide to use vintage silk kimono fabric for a hong kong finish on the inside ribbing seams. The contrast of the two fabrics was gorgeous. But it produced a disaster!! I didn't know a beautiful disaster is possible, but it is. Even though I graded the the seams, especially because the ribbing resulted in thick fabric, the silk layers made the seams way too bulky. It looked horrible. Imagine drapey knit colliding with a thick ropey seam. Ugh. And there was no ripping out stitches -- I had secured the hong kong finish well and stitches sunk into the knit. So, I cut. I cut the hong kong finish off and had to cut really darn close to the stitching so there is only a barely-there seam there. I was so nervous before trying it on again to see how it hung. But although there's some waviness where the ribbing meets the body fabric, it looked OK. Whew. Next time I will test such ideas before implementing them on a garment I put so much time into.